Search This Blog


Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Rules


So I started the New Year this morning with a breakfast at Eat N Park---cheese and veggie omelet with this deep fried, square McDonalesque Hash Brown(s) on the side, white toast with butter and jam, and coffee with cream. (To those of you not familiar with Eat N Park, it's Denny's + Howard Johnson's – Country Kitchen.)

Do I hate myself for this calorie-laden meal? No, not really. I can count on my right hand how many times I've eaten a breakfast like that in the past five years. And now that I've eaten that, I can pretty much guarantee that I won't eat a breakfast, or a dinner or a lunch, like that again for a few more years.

I call this the Fudge Rule. I don't know about you, but chocolate fudge just sounds amazing: you look at it, heck ogle it, at the chocolate shops---those brown, buttery squares---and finally you are like "I have to have fudge or I am going to go all Lindsey Lohan on some one's arse." So you buy a piece, or 12, devour it, and about 20 minutes later you realize that you really don't need to eat fudge for another year. You are kind of fudged out. You are sick of fudge. It was either that fulfilling or that rich or that decadent or maybe, if you are lucky, that sickeningly sweet, that you are satiated.

So that's what I'm talking about for this new year. Enjoy the things you want to enjoy without making them daily needs in your daily diet. Eat in moderation. And always eat your veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment